Position Description: Director
Department/Division: Natchez- Adams County E-911 Communications Center
Reports to: Natchez- Adams County E-911 Advisory Board
Salary Range: $40,000- $45,000; based on qualifications and experience.
Purpose of Position
This position requires a highly driven leader who, under general direction of the Natchez-Adams County Advisory Board, plans, develops, implements and coordinates emergency communication procedures to provide efficient and accurate emergency service dispatching of police, fire, and sheriff services as well as emergency medical and county fire services. Work also involves responsibility for developing, implementing, directing and coordinating the communication equipment and system needs; ensuring proper maintenance of system components; ensuring adherence to Federal Communications Commission rules, regulations and licensing requirements; and preparing and administering the center's budget. An employee in this class is expected to exercise considerable independent judgment in accordance with established policies and procedures. This position is responsible for all support for the Natchez- Adams County E-911 Communication Center.
This position manages a staff of up to 20 people and requires previous management experience in emergency services. Significant experience with emergency communications across multiple agencies is required. The Director shall have or shall obtain full certification to function as a Dispatcher within the Natchez- Adams County E-911 Emergency Communications Center within six months of employment. Obtaining and maintaining this certification is a job requirement. The Director should have a post-high school degree (Bachelor’s Degree preferred) in a field relatable to the management of emergency communications. The Director should have knowledge of and experience with Federal Labor Standards.
Essential Duties of the Position
- Plans, develops, implements and coordinates emergency communication policies and procedures to ensure accurate and efficient dispatching of emergency services to the general public.
- Analyzes systems and equipment needs and recommends changes as deemed appropriate, supervises the development and administration of equipment maintenance contracts, reviews and evaluates proposals and bids for new equipment.
- Monitors and ensures the effective operation of all systems within the 911 center including but not limited to the camera systems, building access systems, call logging systems, phone and radio recording systems, paging systems, database systems, and time keeping systems.
- Maintains and keeps confidential personnel and medical files for 911 staff.
- Assures compliance with MS BETST policies, along with County, State, and Federal regulations.
- Maintains responsive and legal reviews and replies to questions/concerns/complaints relating to service provided by the 911 center.
- Directs all phases of personnel operations and reports to the Natchez- Adams County E-911 Board all matters related to hiring, dismissal, assignments, and discipline of employees.
- Salary $40,000-$45,000
- Prepares agency budget and administers expenditures in accordance with budget provisions.
- Provides liaison between police and fire departments, the Sheriff's Department and EMS providers regarding Communication Center operations.
- Meets and confers with members of the Natchez-Adams County E-911 Board to review modification in operational procedures, enhancements in communication equipment components and systems and to resolve any operating problems among the agencies served.
- Oversees all aspects of the Wrecker Allocation Policy.
- Serves on boards and committees as appropriate and represents the Communications Center at functions as required.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with City and County Officials, other agencies, fellow employees and the general public.
- Is available 24 hours per day, seven days per week to respond as needed.
- Obtains and maintains full certification as a Dispatcher and works at least one long shift per month.
- Spends significant time with every shift at least once per week.
- Expected to temporarily perform duties outside of normal classification in the event of a declared emergency
- Perform Other Duties as assigned by the Natchez- Adams County E-911 Board.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Excellent management, planning, decision-making, and time management skills are required. This position requires technical level reading, writing, mathematical, and communication skills. Ability to perform all the functions and operate all equipment required for use as a Dispatcher is required. The ability to work courteously and effectively with the communication center staff, user agencies, and general public is required.
This position functions both within and outside of an office environment at all times of the year. In providing support for the communications center operations, moving of furniture and equipment may be required.
Work Situation Factors
This position is salaried exempt with a 24-hour, 7-days per week on-call status and extended beyond eight-hour days as necessary. This position is subject to pre-employment and random drug testing. This position wears the same uniform as all employees of the Natchez-Adams County E-911 Communication Center.
Applications Strongly encouraged by January 24, 2020, Tentative window open until February 12, 2020.